Search This Blog

Friday 11 February 2011

The 20 bus to Debden (or "we're on the road to knowhere!)

I sometimes flick the pages of my London A-Z and what ever page my finger stops at that's were I head, I have ended up in Croydon, Pinner, Thamesmead etc. and now Debden.




Debden is an outpost of Loughton, a 1950's housing estate with very little going for it except for the 'De La Rue' print works which prints Bank of England banknotes and  TJ Kelly's Pie and Mash Shop. I, as you can imagine, made a quick exit and walked the five miles to Woodford Green, through some leafy countryside but mainly along busy A roads. Why? I hear you ask, well "because it's there"!
 

1 comment:

Marginalia said...

Gosh, just been there. Took in my car to be serviced and hung around for an hour.

It is such a shame, the lovely arcade with flats above is a real treat,but the shopping centre is in terminal decline.

I went into the local Boots - possibly the most depressing shopping experience I've ever had. The salesman looked and sounded as if he was contemplating suicide. He hadn't what I wanted.

The irony is that it's being killed by the car and access to larger shopping centres, yet Debden has more major car dealers per square inch than most places.