Search This Blog

Saturday 13 November 2010

Austerity London (or any other place)

I quite often walk around London wondering how i would manage with no money, or very little, and i actually try some times not to spend very much just as an experiment, obviously i do this on my own and not with my wife and kid who would accuse me off being a skinflint! Anyway here are my observations;
Food and Drink -
Waitrose and some of the other posher stores regularly have free tastings as do food/farmers markets such as the ones in Borough and Spitalfields.
Private views in the smaller galleries, and even some of the bigger ones, are usually quite easy to gatecrash and usually have free drink and food, I even gatecrashed the Whitecube in trendy Hoxton and helped myself to quantities of free wine, beer and canapes.
Culture -
Obviously private views and galleries again.
Libraries with free books, newspapers, IT and events.
Bookshops with free book readings and events.
Free lectures at the LSE, Gresham College etc
And obviously just walking around London is free and I cant think of a better way to pass a few hours.

No comments: