Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 July 2008

What is proper bubble?


Ingredients that should never be added to or served as ‘Bubble & Squeak’ (in my opinion!)
Peas
Mashed Potatoes (they should always be whole potatoes ruffed up!)
Frozen Diced Veg
Frozen ‘Bubble’ cakes
Turnip or swede (though I have got a friend that thinks this is acceptable!!)
Sour Cabbage (believe it or not I have been served this on numerous occasions!)

It should always be fried in its own pan and should never be oven-baked, although I believe that the 'Olde Cheshire Cheese' in Fleet Street serves it from the oven.

Obviously there will be a difference between the ingredients used at home and in a cafe. At home you can throw in any old leftovers, then again I think that some cafes do aswell!

1 comment:

Offalboy said...

Where do you stand on swede/turnip in a bubble?